The HeliOS Project is now.....

The HeliOS Project is now.....
Same mission, same folks...just a different name

Search the Blog of helios and all comments

Loading

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving In Reverse.....A Geek's Perspective

Most Americans recognize Thanksgiving as the starting line for our holiday season dash.  A time where many of us forget the real reasons we mark these days on the calendar and spend them over eating, over spending and over extending ourselves.

I tend to take a more traditional view during this part of the year and I wanted to spend just a few moments in reflection and mention some important things that have happened.

Things for which I am deeply thankful.

Most recently, we installed a small 4 computer center at Furaha House.  Coming to a strange country and falling into a completely foreign culture is most usually a shock.  Furaha House is a non profit organization that aids African refugees and immigrants in learning the language, customs and all the while striving to be productive citizens in their new country.

Joshua Vaughan, a Rotarian and the Director of Global House had contacted us after we spoke during a Rotary meeting and asked us to help this great organization.  We of course were happy to help.  The computers will be used for both education and helping new arrivals learn about their surroundings.  Some of them cannot even write in their own language.  These computers will open educational doors for them as well.

I want to personally thank Solange Woodson of Furaha House (pictured above far right) for her warm and sincere welcome of HeliOS as we went about our task there.  I also want to thank Josh Vaughan (next to her) for introducing us to this opportunity to help.

And to the City of Taylor, a small, growing and friendly town that I now call home...I want to not only thank them for the opportunities they've provided us to be of service, I want to extend our heartfelt gratitude for giving us a place from which to work.  Where a city of over 1 million couldn't find us a place to operate from, a town with humble means and a struggling economy saw our value and made us neighbors.  Thank you Taylor Texas.  Thank you Jeff Straub and Bob Van Til.

To the one hundred and six families we have been able to help so far in 2011, I want to thank you for not only allowing us into your home but providing us with a way to give back.  Personally, I now find it hard to tell where Ken Starks stops and The HeliOS Project starts, but regardless of where that line is, I am comfortable in knowing that what we do as an organization defines me.

I have no problems with that.

And I think the most important thing I can mention here are the volunteers that have stepped in to help us do what we do.  We would not exist without the likes of Ron West, Carolyn and Jason Smith, Andy Krell....I could go on for an entire page and not mention everyone, but you know who you are.  And I know who you are.  Thank you.

So with a roof over our heads, and the bills somehow getting paid month to month, I don't think I could ask The Universe for anything more without coming off as greedy.

It has given me what I think we all desire and need as human beings.  A sense of purpose.

And for that, I am most thankful.

All-Righty Then.  

2 comments:

SysKoll said...

Some of them cannot even write in their own language.

Man, that's scary. In this economy more than ever, illiteracy is a recipe for unemployment. It's not like the country is awash with unfilled positions for unqualified workers.

Andrew Cater said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Ken and to everyone you hold dear, as well as to each and every one of the helpers, beneficiaries and donors to the project over the last year.

What counts is making a difference, and you surely do that.