The HeliOS Project is now.....

The HeliOS Project is now.....
Same mission, same folks...just a different name

Search the Blog of helios and all comments

Loading

Saturday, April 05, 2008

2008 Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit - Whaddaya wanna say?



You could have knocked me over with a 32 meg stick of RAM.

"This unique, invitation-only event will bring together the brightest minds in the Linux ecosystem to discuss where Linux is, where it needs to go and how we can all help get it there."

"I am pleased to let you know that your application to attend the Spring 2008 Collaboration Summit in Austin has been approved."

Just looking at the list of attendees, I had to go back several times and make sure I was seeing it was really my name among the others. I am both honored and humbled to be chosen.

Now it's down to business. Give the list a look-over, see who you would like to ask a question and tell me who it is and what you want asked and I will attempt to do it. This is a golden chance to do many things and 3 days doesn't seem as if it is going to be long enough to do most of them.

But we're going to try.

I was able to use my incredible influence and sway in getting my number one Unix Network Guy, Tom King, on the list. Yeah...sometimes you just have to let people know who you are...

Read the above as: someone canceled and I was lucky enough to have him submit his application at the right time. Blind-running luck has it's place in all of our lives from time to time.

Influence and sway. "...that's there's funny, I don't care who you are..."

Speaking of blind-running luck...I am going to have the opportunity to meet several people I've only known professionally through the years. Number one on my "gotta shake his hand" tour is Earl Malmrose, one of the dynamic duo that makes Zareason happen. If I'm lucky, I will get a chance to talk shop with Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols .

He's been extremely polite and has suffered this fool for three years now. The "gladly" part I leave out because of the chance it would be totally incorrect. It's me we're talking about after all. Bless his heart.

Let me know in the comments here and I will do my best to get it taken care of for you. I will report back in a series of articles I am going to do about the goings-on of the Summit and those things discussed. We'll start on that as soon as it's over.

And no...I didn't see Jessica Simpson's name on the list.

Get your own phone numbers.

All-righty Then

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say Congratulations, so now you get to play with the big boys.

tracyanne

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your place in the rankings there, I'm still a *nix newbie so I can't really think of any good questions at the moment but I'm glad to hear that you are going.

FelixTheCat said...

Heh...just when I thought I was being "honored". ;) Anyway, this is going to be a really good summit, and I'm lucky enough to live just 5 miles away from its location.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you are being way to modest. Do you have any idea how many people are cheering you on. That's what I like about you. You are famous and you don't even know it.

Rare indeed is my friend Helios

Marcus

Unknown said...

Tank,

Which events/roundtables are you attending. list here and I'll do the same.

j

kozmcrae said...

I had to think about that for a while. From what I've read on hundreds of blogs, this is what's on my mind.

Products find their way into consumers' homes through marketing. Microsoft has managed to market, not just a product, but a mind-set into the lives of consumers'. I have never been a fan of marketing at any scale but our default method of market penetration by seepage is allowing needless delay to hinder the broad acceptance of Linux and Open Source.

Is there any plan by this consortium to market Linux to the broad spectrum of consumers and if not, why?

Anonymous said...

Mr. h Dude!

That is, of course, Ken Version 2.0. I get the feeling my emails have been disappearing into a void. Have you received ANYTHING from me in the last week??? I think you should still know how to contact me.

Thanks, Ken Jennings (Ken 1.0)

Unknown said...

LOL, Ken...of course I know how to get ahold of you. I've sent you three emails in two weeks...maybe your machine decided my domain was spam. I received an email from Bruce Perrins and IT was in my spam box.

Man am I GLAD I checked for it there.

Have had some real problems with my off-site administrative people. Have it sorted out now and will email you once I get my documentation together.

give me until Saturday evening.

Ken The Other

Unknown said...

Richie,

You have as always...pegged the subject matter well. This is just the exact topic I will blog on for the Monday Morning publication. Much to say on this topic and not all of it good.

There is a reason Geeks should never be left to their own marketing. I am going to outline them well.

Ken

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen any mail replies at all. But at least your reply means you've seen my emails. I don't have any spam blocking rules setup other than to dump undeliverable mail "responses" in the trashcan. I've been checking the trash, too. It would have to be Bellsouth (now AT&T) deciding your mail is spam, though with the amount of other trash they let through concerning anatomical enhancements and lonely "neighbors" who want to talk to me I don't see how they would figure you're a spammer.