The HeliOS Project is now.....

The HeliOS Project is now.....
Same mission, same folks...just a different name

Search the Blog of helios and all comments

Loading

Friday, April 30, 2010

You came through...as always

As I mentioned in a previous blog - Twenty computers in twenty days, we received 22 Dell 4600 and 4700 computers into the HeliOS Project inventory...

Problem was, we really didn't have the funding to get them out.

Notice I said, "Problem was"...

I asked that people give us a hand and donate 25.00 per install...that's roughly what it cost us to do each one when you factor in fuel and parts.

Thank you.  Thanks to your help, we have enough to do our twenty in twenty with two extra afterward.

I also mentioned that we received some pretty cool stuff from Knowbility.org.  Dell had donated a bunch of stuff to them and they in turn passed it along to us.  Not only did we get some fairly cool networking stuff, we also received 150 Dell A525 2.1 speaker sets.

I don't believe we will be short speakers for our systems for a while.

We be talkin' some bumpin' speakers yo... 

At any rate, we do have to get our warehouse in order and I have been working on that this week.  We still have full pallets of stuff to unpack and put into storage. Tomorrow we have a Linux Against Poverty volunteer meeting at the Triumph Cafe at 10 pm and Tom King and I will be heading out to the shop to get some stuff done there...to include getting a few of the machines ready for this week's Twenty in Twenty...will post about those as they get done.

I've also been working with an Austin IT guy who shares our concern for the tax money being spent on proprietary software in our schools.  I am waiting on some specific information and I expect it here in the coming week.  As soon as I get it, Phil and I are going to present what we know and start the conversation here.  Stay tooned...

Again, thank you for helping us do what we do.  We are ramping up for Linux Against Poverty and setting up mailing lists for our volunteers.  Email me if you want to get involved.  This year is going to be a hoot.

All-righty then...

3 comments:

Amenditman said...

Ken

Those are rockin'speakers, I had a set prior to upgrading to my Bose Companion 5's.

Thanks to all who helped out this go round. These kids lives will never be the same after receiving their Linux computer.

Who knows where the next Linux Guru will be from, but I'd bet there will be a dis-proportionately high number from the less affluent areas of Austin,TX.

Blessings

Chelle Minkin said...

Ken, it was only a few short months ago that you had some serious health problems. I know you love what you do and you have obligations but twenty installs in twenty days might be pushing it.

Work at a sane pace and don't do anything harmful to yourself. I'm sure twenty installs in 30 days would be just fine with everyone here.

Chelle

Mike Regan said...

Ken, we were glad to help. Working with you last year was both a privilege and an experience I won't soon forget. You're doing good work man. Just be safe. Some of those neighborhoods I wouldn't go into on a bet.

Mike