The HeliOS Project is now.....

The HeliOS Project is now.....
Same mission, same folks...just a different name

Search the Blog of helios and all comments

Loading

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Going Forward...Knowing who you are


First off...


I wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2010, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great.

Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishes.

and to everyone else...

 Happy New Year!


Thanks to my life-long friend Kirk Ellsworth for that Politically Correct New Years greeting.  If some of you feel I am poking fun at political correctness...

Bingo.  You win the stuffed panda.

Manufactured in China and probably containing highly flammable stuffing and the remnants of some endangered rain forest. Probably.

But Seriously...

I don't "do" New Year's Eve.

Not saying I haven't ever.  Fact is, I've celebrated New Year's Eve on five continents...Imbibing my share of new year cheer...and waking up feeling like I had been hit with a blivit.

I just choose not to do that anymore.  I choose to acknowledge the new year by reflecting, by outlining new goals...replacing weaknesses with strengths.  What I did on New Year's Eve is spend time with a few close friends gathered around a roaring fire out in the middle of their back yard.  We roasted hot dogs, marshmallows, and talked.

We talked about you for a good part of that evening.

Yes you.

All of you.

Not particularly by name, although a couple dozen were mentioned...we talked about you as a single entity...as a force, a factor-of-change...

We talked about you.

I told them about a year of mixed results.  A year of roaring success, a year of horrible illness and a year of revelation.

I told them about how you had made it possible to do what we do at The HeliOS Project.  While we didn't have our greatest year...

It wasn't that bad all things considered.

I told them about how a global community came together and helped me heal from an illness that could have easily killed me.  I told them about a global effort to bring computing freedom to people who before now, had no idea they had a choice.

I told them of your warmth, your passion, your dedication...

And your humor.

So if the new year has come and gone and you still haven't decided on that New Year's resolution...

Don't sweat it.

Personally, I like you just the way you are.

All-Righty Then...

5 comments:

David Meyers said...

Ken, thank you for that warm and humbling blog. I've been following your blog for years and have volunteered from time to time so I know how much this project means to you.

If nothing else, you are the most tenacious person I have ever met. To you my friend, may this next year bring you all the personal and professional success you desire. Thank you for doing what you do.

Dave

kozmcrae said...

Thank you for telling our stories Ken. I'm with you on celebrating a quiet New Year. Each year has its share of "excitement". I'd rather not generate any extra. Besides, the Solstice is really the mark of the physical change to the New Year. I celebrate it with two days of gentle work followed by night of music, food and stories with friends and family. All of this takes place in the largest tipi this side of the Mississippi River.

No alcohol is needed. It would just quell the natural good cheer.

Amenditman said...

Ken

Thanks for thinking of me, just kidding dude.

I want to wish you a New Year full of satisfying and successful days. Days of emotional, physical, financial, and spiritual fulfillment.

How about this for a wish list.
A job which pays a living wage, but doesn't take your lifetime.
Relationships restored and healed.
A community which steps up and truly fulfills it's role.
Needs met before the last possible second.
Volunteers to help with all the heavy lifting.

Enough of that, Happy New Year

Blessings
Bob

Jingles said...

Happy new year to all of your. might me its little late but i dont wana miss any thing on this blog. as now i am fan of you :)

James Dixon said...

> I told them of your warmth, your passion, your dedication...

Warmth? Well, for the first time in a couple of weeks, it's gotten above freezing this past week, and the foot of snow is slowly melting. So, in comparison, I guess so. :)

Now, as for passion and dedication, SPI is trying to process my yearly donation as I type. Thus far, it's been remarkably unsuccessful, but I'll keep trying. It's not much, but it's what I can do. Keep up the good work Ken, and know our prayers are with you.