The HeliOS Project is now.....

The HeliOS Project is now.....
Same mission, same folks...just a different name

Search the Blog of helios and all comments

Loading

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Thank You Isn't Enough

Waiting for some things to cook in konsole, I spent some time hitting the "stumble" button on my firefox stumbleupon toolbar. I only have a few preferences checkmarked and one of them is Unix/Linux. I stumbled upon something I want to share with you. It came off of a newsgroup and it was published just a couple months ago. I think it is worth sharing...there is a point that follows in the next day or two, so I thought this was a good precursor.

This post is for all of you out there
who have developed or contributed to Linux/Ubuntu projects and all of the open
source coders who read this.I do not know where to send a post like this so I hope this one email will find its way in the sea of posts out there.



I thank you to the point of tears.

Earlier this week I installed Kubuntu
on a refurbished AMD computer I purchased for $184 from a discount
online vendor, it came with no OS. It now runs like a champ.

We cant afford much and this was my 14
year old daughter's birthday present this past week. She is
overjoyed. And she is already trying to tackle Adept Manager and
exploring Linux; adding bling and her music, of course.

I cant tell you how much I appreciate
the work you all have done. Its a work of art. If I could thank each and every one of
you I would.


You have given her the world to learn and explore.

So if you get frustrated or tired in
your work for Open Source/Free Software, just remember that somewhere in Missouri
there is a 14 year-old girl named Hope, an A-student who runs on the track team,
who is now your biggest fan and one of the newest users of
Linux/Ubuntu.

Thanks most sincerely,

R.B.A.

Missouri

You have the thanks of us at HeliOS Project as well...and from those
who have benefited from our labours.
From helios, Tom King, Larry
Cafiero, Richie, Ryan Gene and Wanda Lake, Ken Jennings, Mark Van**
and everyone else who has made our efforts fruitful.


Thank you.


All-Righty Then



5 comments:

einfeldt said...

Hi Helios,

I mentioned this blog on my Twitter page. This was a very moving blog entry, to say the least. Thanks for posting it!

http://twitter.com/einfeldt

Anonymous said...

And, for what it's worth, the thanks of James Dixon of Mannington, WV.

Though in my case the thanks go to Patrick Volkerding and the Slackware team, not Ubuntu.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone who has given,in any form, to Linux and the various distros.

Thanks to the folks that live on the forums and IRC channels who are there to provide help and give advice (RTM)

Thanks to those who proselytise.

And a special thanks to MS who encouraged me to find an alternative.

Amenditman said...

helios

Thanks for posting this. It reminds me to be thankful for all the efforts of the developers and publicisers of GNU/Linux and FOSS, again.

No amount of "THANK YOU" is enough for the love, care, and hard work that goes into this every single day all over the world.

I am one ex-Windows user who cannot thank every one of you enough.

Please give all these people your support, you all know what I mean. Every little bit helps to encourage them to continue. If you think that they don't want or need encouragement to continue, think again. From the kernel maintainers to package developers to distro maintainers to bloggers who go the extra mile to bring freedom to anyone who listens they all need our support and encouragement. Give what you can; time, talent, or treasure.

amenditman

Anonymous said...

I'm disabled, disabled enough not to be able to work, the Goverment paid me a meager sum to have a roof over my head. The internet is my life because of my disabilites.

I had the choice between a machine with Windows on it, and one with Mandriva.

I'm not sure if you know anyone who is disabled, but you should know that we don't have a lot of money, for me to afford Windows would be about a year's worth of saving up my money. Linux saved me. Tux gave me a hug and a DVD, and I am still enjoying it.

So, from someone who can't walk, and can't acutally talk vocally. Thank you, not only to Mandriva, but to everyone who worked on, and with, Linux.

Dante, Out.